Monday, April 4, 2011

I plan to pay the price.

From reading your email, it sounds like things are going good back home in the Tri-Cities.  The 3 Bs.  That’s sweet Ben is coming, man I miss that kid.  I haven’t heard from him in forever, send him saludos and a big high five. Where is he going to school at?
BUTLER.  Many people will say I can’t believe it.  BUT I CAN.  Simply, BUTLER is the best.  They play with heart.  That brings me so much alegria.  Butler in the finals.
And Backpacking, that sounds really great.  And I must comment, I will be excited to show up to the Tri-Cities and find my own propio lacrosse helmet.  Seems to me like I’ll be pretty good at the sport.  O the lawn mowing!  Harrison, DO IT; you will be happy later that you learned just a little about work.  I promise.  But also, DON’T KILL YOURSELF!  Mow enough, but master the balencery of your schedule.  Go Jefferson.  Make some good money, and do a good job.  And Saydi, O Saydi, Have Fun doing what you love most . . .  mowing:)

Remember, don’t let the practice of piano slip through the cracks.  Please I plead with you, develop this skill.  Again here in Justo I am the branch pianist.  We have a little dinky keyboard here in the church/pench.  And I practice the siestas and play domingos.  But it’s not my choice!  The cappo branch president chooses and notifies me a week in advance.  And coming up this next week are some tricky ones.  The excitement never ceases!
I am doing really well.  Preaching the gospel, improving myself, and having fun.  It was a good week, yes you were wrong mom.  But certainly there were 2 choice really terrible mornings and other downer times . .  but we don´t talk about those so much, we learn from them.  Bad days are just a part of life that help me improve and appreciate the good and great and amazing ones.
The Lord blessed us with 13 news this week.  Truly, He opened doors, He blandared the corazones, and He helped us Teach.  The best new we found was one of my open the mouths.  A great 20 year old kid, and from the many tattoos, a little lost in satan’s lies.  His name is Gustavo.  We taught to his needs and talked about a wide variety of subjects.  The restoration was dominant though.  And he really is going to pray about it.  It was a miracle lesson.  We continue to work with Mario at this changing point in his life.  His second marriage is falling apart and he has no work.  The economy, if you can call it that, in Justo is HORRIBLE,  we hear that all the time.  I realize from being here that having a dad with a job is such a blessing.  And ours has a Great Job.  Wow, it amazes me.  Also the simple blessing of having pan on the mesa also is so huge.  We’ve never been without, so we don´t know what that’s like.  We are a blessed family.  I consider myself the luckiest and most blessed man to walk this earth.
The 2 man pench we have is great.  We get along really well.  Elder Molen has a great spirit, and we still have so much to learn.
What President Lindahl said to me this week via email was that Elder Molen and I will see many miracles together.  And we already have.  The nice thing about a 2 man pench is that I have the blessing of easily being focused during the siestas.  I cook, eat, study Spanish, and practice hymms.  Side note.  I’m excited for after the mission to learn and play songs other than hymms!  For the first time in the mission, the ipod music system has become a big thing.  I listen to that all the time.  I am in complete awe of the vocal chords of Elder Jonny Vance.  That one song is amazing. Also, I have a goal to learn Daughter of a King in tagalog.  We both really enjoy listing to that.
Ok . .  that was just the introduction, because this is the Conference Edition Letter.
I loved loved loved conference.  I have never been so excited for it in my life.  In my life.  Due to a problem or 2, we didn´t get to her the beginning ni la primero discurso por Perry.  What temples were announced?  Hardly any of the members were there on time for the first session, and no one seems to know.
Sister Stevens spoke on Beholding the little Children. I thought of Benson and Wilson.  And how precious they are. I loved when she talked about Jesus and the little children.
And then one of the next talks, Elder Gonzalez gave the first Argentina shout out!  Elder Cooks talk about women was amazing.  I thought of you mom, and how silly that one paragraph you wrote today was.  You are amazing.  It is how you face your trails that makes you amazing.

Oaks mentioned the wilderness survival merit badge and I thought  of my good friend Jase Ward and that cold night we survived under our tashmahal!  And he gave an Aaron Rawlston shout out.  I liked that . . Mom do you still read those books? Do you still watch our cop shows late at night?
And then Sister Allreds second Argentina shout out!
Elder Nelson dropped some cane on tithing and I loved it.  In this misión our asignación (allocation) has been upped to 700 huge pesos every month.  I thank all tithing payers throughout the world for the willingness and faithfulness to accept the blessings of God.  And mom and dad, thank you for teaching me that esencial principal.  Pay your tithing so you won’t be burned at the day of vengeance, Elder Nelson said!  That was sweet.
Elder Maynes talked about establishing celestial traditions in the home.  I reflected back on our home and was sweetly reminded that you did that, mom and dad.  Our home is a celestial home.  And Ballard talked about finding little flakes of gold.  I thought of my daily experiences are like that, little flakes of gold, and here’s 2 of them from this week.
We met Carlos, who lives on the outskirts of Daract, and he was a ful with trabajo, we offered to help, as we always do, and to our astonishment he accepted. So for an hour and a half we worked with him on his farm, fixing fences and playing with the pigs, literally.  It was a rather big flake of gold, it was an amazing amazing experience.  A picture is attached.


Carlos and Elder Ostler
Also, Friday night, our branch got together and we watched a movie! And ate an asado!  The movie was great, Gifted Hands, in Spanish and just, it was a great night.
The priesthood session was amazing!  I agree!  I loved how Anderson mentioned BYU hoops.  The message was clear.  Learn your priesthood responsibility and Do them.  Become something.  I plan to pay the price, which is my new found mission model, and do that.  I will be studying a lot about the priesthood this week.
Elder Gibson, among other things, said, a deacons duty is to share the gospel.  My thought turned to you, brothers,  especially Harrison and Jefferson.  Are you sharing the gospel with your concidos and amigos, and just whoever?  Harrison, I love hearing about you going on división with the elders SO MUCH.  I can´t believe you date and drive.  Did I miss something, the thought hit me that Benson is a Deacon, with the Priesthood of Aaron.  Really?  Do you boys invite friends, to church?  You should.  It is so easy, and the rewards are HUGE.  Sharing the Gospel is fun, not scary.  Just get over that first little fear and selfishness speed bump and start collecting the little gold flakes!
And mom, how’s your investigator?  I loved the little you shared with me about that.  So thanks for being amazing and sharing this Gospel.  Have you invited her to be baptized?  Baptism in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Santos is the ONLY WAY to be saved and live in the reino celestial . . .or at least it is the fist step.  Invite her to church.  Testify, bring the missionaries, there is no way she can say no.  If people only knew what we were selling.  The price is one prayer, and the reward is ETERNAL HAPPINESS!
I loved Eyrings discourse.  A funny memory.  He talked of peace makers, and I thought of Miss Amanda, and how she is a peacemaker.  One of her YW value projects was ignoring me!   That is how maldito (wretched) I was!  And how amazing she is, because she did it and is just incredible.  But right now you might not feel that way.  I haven´t read your letter yet, but mom tells me its hard.  But girl, you can do it!!  Just work!  Do it how the Lord wants you to do it.  Do it with a smile.  Trials and pain are GOOD.  I love you dearly Amanda.  Just keep going, life always gets better.  You will look back on this transfer with a smile, I promise.  So make it a good one!
I love Monson’s talk too.  I felt his power.  Through revelation and the Holy Ghost I Know that he is God’s prophet on the earth today.  You know, I felt goose bumps so many times this weekend. It usually never happens to me.  And that choir!  Even through our really crappy Argentine speakers, we were able to feel the power and amazingness of conference.  Yes, we watched it in English.
I must finish so quickly, I loved Bishop Burton’s pink tie.  I complimented a member on his awesome purple tie Saturday, and he just took it off and gave it to me.  It was amazing.  So I gave him mine, . .  the beloved pink one!
And the Sunday pm session was unheard of.  Scott, Christofferson and Robbins were the highlights for me!  If I only had more time . . . .
They also showed a BYU Hawaii deal and I loved it.  Go Saydi.  Also, that Messiah, the Lamb of God was INCREDIBLE!  I want to see that again.
This weekend for conference we have come to spend the days in Villa Mercedes.  We are living in the zone leaders pench.  It is great to have hot water and a strainer!  O the little things in life.
Today was a great p day!  We cooked an asado, walked in a river of sorts, and played futbol.  It was so great.  And, in 2 days I get to go to Mendoza for the conference, I’m a district leader, so I will personally be able to bring back my mountain of letters!  I’m so excited to go!  And it’s the last week of the transfer, so we will see what happens!



We head back to Justo tonight.  It’s been a good descanso of sorts here in Villa Mercedes.  District leader for me is hard.
I got a smile on this face and simply just feel like this has been a very strange email. 
Siga adelante family.  I love you all so so much.  Boys, study, mow, play lacrosse, read your scriptures, and practice piano.   That is your o so important to do list from me.  I love you parents, and am eternally grateful for the both of you.
Another fun fact before I close, I read my patriarchal blessing so much this week.  It was powerful and some of the promises are amazing!
Back to conference, I thought that the overall themes may include, Get Married! God loves and hears us, revelation, marriage again, that’s separate from getting married.
And that’s funny about the hacering caso a kings Benjamin’s speech by sleeping in the tent with the door to the prophet.  My family is just so awesome!  I love you all.
Yours truly
Elder Ostler